- A Burglar’s Guide to the City is a crackerjack intellectual caper.” ―Tom Vanderbilt, New York Times bestselling author of You May Also Like and Traffic “Despite its title, Geoff Manaugh's A Burglar's Guide to the City won't teach you how to break into houses. It won't help you outsmart wily cat burglars with ingenious home alarm systems.
- Characteristics of a Burglar. CHARACTERISTICS OF A BURGLAR WHITE NON-VIOLENT White 56% No Violence 67% Hispanic 31% Threats and Violence 13% African-American I 9% 3% 1% Violence Only 11% Native-American Threats Only Asian-American DOES NOT USE A WEAPON Male 95% MALE No Weapon 67% Axe/Sticks/Clubs 16.5% Male Hands 13% Female I Female 5% Knife/Gun/Stone 9.5% UNDER 25 WORKS QUICKLY 12 The.
A burglar smashed your living room window to break into your home. While he was in the process of taking your flat screen television off the wall, he steps on your kid's toy car and falls on his back, spraining it. The TV then falls on his face breaking his nose. To add insult to injury, the burglar is now suing you for his injuries!
|Directed by||Hugh Wilson|
|Written by||Jeph Loeb|
|Based on||The Burglar in the Closet by Lawrence Block (novel)|
|Produced by||Michael Hirsh|
|Cinematography||William A. Fraker|
|Edited by||Fredric Steinkamp|
|Music by||Sylvester Levay|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
|March 20, 1987|
|Box office||$16,357,355 (sub-total)|
Burglar is a 1987 Canadian-American comedyfilm directed by Hugh Wilson and distributed by Warner Bros. The film stars Whoopi Goldberg and Bobcat Goldthwait.
Bernice 'Bernie' Rhodenbarr, a former San Franciscoburglar, resumes her life of crime when a corrupt police officer named Ray Kirschman blackmails her.
A dentist, Dr. Cynthia Sheldrake, hires Bernice to break into her ex-husband Christopher's home and steal back her jewelry. Things take a turn for the worse when Christopher is murdered while Bernie is robbing his home, and thanks to Sheldrake and her lawyer Carson, Bernie is the only suspect.
To clear her name Bernice and her friend Carl hop from bar to bar looking for someone who knew Christopher. They find out that Christopher had quite a few girlfriends... and boyfriends. Bernice has three new suspects after an old flame of Christopher's tells her about an artist, a bartender, and a mysterious man known only by his nickname: 'Heeeeeeere's Johnny!'
Bernice investigates the artist and the bartender only to have them show up dead. With no clues or witnesses, Bernice waits for Dr. Sheldrake in her home to confront her. Demanding she tell her everything she knew about Christopher, she concludes that Cynthia herself had sex with her ex the night he was murdered.
During the conversation the TV flashes to an episode of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. Bernice realizes Carson knew the doctor's ex. Bernice calls Carson to meet her in the park with the bag of jewelry Bernice was commissioned to steal in the first place. Bernice has also deduced that Carson was in love with Christopher himself. A scuffle ensues and Bernice, along with her friend Carl and Ray, capture Carson.
- Whoopi Goldberg as Bernice Rhodenbarr
- Bobcat Goldthwait as Carl Hefler
- G. W. Bailey as Ray Kirschman
- Lesley Ann Warren as Dr. Cynthia Sheldrake
- James Handy as Carson Verrill
- Anne De Salvo as Detective Todras
- John Goodman as Detective Nyswander
- Elizabeth Ruscio as Frankie
- Vyto Ruginis as K.E. Graybow
- Larry Mintz as Vincent 'Knobby' DiCarno
- Raye Birk as The Jogger
- Nathan Davis as Mr. Paggif, pawnshop owner
- Eric Poppick as Deliveryman
- Scott Lincoln as Man in Cadillac
- Thom Bray as Shoplifter in Bookstore
- Gary Hershberger as Young Officer
- Ethan Phillips as Barman (uncredited)
A Burglar' S Guide To The City Pdf Free Download Version
The film was adapted from the 1978 novel The Burglar in the Closet by Lawrence Block; in Block's book, Bernie Rhodenbarr is a white man. It was also the first R-rated and live-action production from the Canadian animation company Nelvana.
In a 2013 interview with Kevin Smith, screenwriter Jeph Loeb disclosed that Burglar was initially intended to be a serious vehicle for Bruce Willis with Whoopi Goldberg filling the role of the character's neighbor. (The film was based on the second of a long-running series of novels about a professional burglar, Bernard 'Bernie' Rhodenbar.) When Willis dropped out, Goldberg took on the lead role.
A Burglar's Guide To The City
Critical reception was largely negative. Roger Ebert described the film as 'a witless, hapless exercise in the wrong way to package Goldberg. This is a woman who is original. Who is talented. Who has a special relationship with the motion picture comedy. It is criminal to put her into brain-damaged, assembly-line thrillers.'
- ^'Nelvana crosses the border for live action and Whoopi'. Toronto Star. 1986-06-28. p. F.6. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- ^'Archived copy'. Archived from the original on 2015-11-20. Retrieved 2016-09-08.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- ^Ebert, Roger. 'Burglar Movie Review & Film Summary (1987)'. Rogerebert.com. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
Can I Shoot A Burglar
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Burglar (film)|
- Burglar at IMDb
- Burglar at AllMovie
- Burglar at Box Office Mojo
- Burglar at Rotten Tomatoes